Electricity prices in the Northern Territory are regulated by the NT Government.
Residential electricity consumers are able to choose their electricity retailer from a small group of licensed electricity retailers but the prices the retailers charge are regulated.
Electricity retailers include:
Saving money on your electricity bill
Due to the lack of competition in the Northern Territory electricity market, MoneyBrilliant can’t analyse your electricity bills and find you a better deal.
Reducing your electricity costs comes down to your eligibility for a subsidy and knowing how you can reduce your bill by changing your usage habits.
Check here to see you if you are eligible for concessions:
Tips for reducing energy consumption around your home
- If you have a time of use meter, do your clothes & dishwashing outside of peak times
- Know which appliances are expensive to run & minimise use – e.g. clothes dryer, air conditioner, heater
- Turn off switches when appliances are not in use – e.g. television, microwave, lights, fans
- Wash clothes in cold water as much as possible
- Be efficient in your use of washing machines & dishwashers – make sure you have a full load
- Turn off the lights when you leave a room
- In winter use rugs & door stops to block gaps in doors and naturally warm your home
- If you are going away for more than a few days, turn your hot water heater off. There’s no point keeping the water hot if there is no one there to use it!