Energy Concessions – Western Australia

The cost of electricity and gas has risen significantly in recent years. The media attention this issue has been given has provided the motivation for people to talk more and compare prices, however by not shopping around, 70% of us are still paying 20% more than we need to for our electricity.

Electricity and gas retailers talk about rising wholesale prices and while there is truth in that, it is only one side of the story as the retailers continue to report huge profits.

MoneyBrilliant’s Bill Watch feature has been designed to help you find the lowest cost electricity and gas plans for your usage in your area. This is a good first step to decreasing your energy bills.

For customers who meet certain criteria, most typically pensioners and low-income earners, there are further concessions you can apply for. These vary state by state and are set by the state government.

In Western Australia, eligible customers may apply for the following annual rebates:


  • Energy Assistance Payment – $305 per year to assist with electricity costs
  • Energy Assistant Payment – $305 per year to assist with electricity costs for residents of residential communities, caravan parks or apartment blocks where electricity costs are paid by the owner or manager and recouped from residents
  • Dependent Child Rebate – $320 for one child, and $84 for each additional child (children must be listed on your eligible concession card)

To be eligible you need to hold one of the following:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Health Care Card
  • Commonwealth Seniors Health Card
  • Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card (Permanently incapacitated, War Widow and Dependent Child)

You may be entitled to additional energy concessions depending on your circumstances.

For the Energy Assistance Payment

The property must be your principal place of residence and the electricity bill must be in your name. If you are with Synergy you may apply over the phone or online. If you are with Horizon Power you may apply over the phone or download an application from their website and send it into them. For questions, contact your electricity retailer directly.

For the Energy Assistant Payment

You may apply online, through this link:

For a full list of Household Bill and Appliances concessions for WA residents, read here:

WA Concessions: Household Bills & Appliances

*Updated 12 November 2019

Related articles –
Skyrocketing Energy Bills & what MoneyBrilliant is going to do about them
Introducing Bill Watch 

More Posts


Your Spending Hit List

Key points Most people we speak to have some obvious ways to save money They take a bit of effort and discipline but if you

Read More »



Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Terms of Access  |  Privacy Policy  |  Service Status

Copyright © All rights reserved