Energy Concessions – South Australia

The cost of electricity and gas has risen significantly in recent years, and by about 20-30% in the last twelve months. The media attention this issue has been given has provided the motivation for people to talk more and compare prices, however by not shopping around, 70% of us are still paying 20% more than we need to for our electricity. 

Electricity and gas retailers talk about rising wholesale prices and while there is truth in that, it is only one side of the story as the retailers continue to report huge profits.

MoneyBrilliant’s Bill Watch feature has been designed to help you find the lowest cost electricity and gas plans for your usage in your area. This is a good first step to decreasing your energy bills.

For customers who meet certain criteria, most typically pensioners and low-income earners, there are further concessions you can apply for. These vary state by state and are set by the state government.

In South Australia, low-income earners may apply and be eligible for the following annual rebates:

Electricity & Gas:

  • $226.67 for eligible customers to assist with electricity and gas (including LPG)
  • Up to $537.47 for eligible residents of residential communities or caravan parks who own their dwelling, to assist with electricity, gas and sewerage costs
  • Up to $353.07 for eligible residents of residential communities or caravan parks who rent their dwelling, to assist with electricity and gas costs

To apply your name must be the only name or the first name on the electricity and/or gas bill. If you don’t receive bills from an energy retailer you will need copies of receipts for LPG in your name. You must not be living with anyone who has an income of more than $3,000 per year unless they get an allowance from Centrelink or the Department of Veterans’ Affairs or they are your spouse, partner or dependent. To be eligible you need to hold one of the following:

  • Pensioner Concession Card
  • Gold Card from the Department of Veterans’ Affairs with Totally & Permanently Incapacitated, Extreme Disablement Adjustment or War Widow status or
  • DVA Gold card issued to a person with 80 or more overall impairment points or
  • Low Income Health Care Card
  • Commonwealth Seniors card

OR you receive one of the following Centrelink payments:

  • Newstart Allowance
  • Sickness Allowance
  • Widow Allowance
  • Youth Allowance
  • Partner Allowance
  • Parenting Payment
  • Special Benefit
  • Community Development Employment Project
  • New Enterprise Incentive Scheme
  • Austudy
  • Farm House Allowance
  • War widow pension under legislation of the United Kingdom or New Zealand

If you are an individual retail customer you can apply online or contact Concessions SA and request they send out a form for you to complete and return. Payments will be credited to your electricity bills.

If you are an eligible caravan or residential community customer you will need to complete a paper application form and return it to Concessions SA. Payments will be credited quarterly to your bank account.

You may be entitled to additional energy concessions depending on your circumstances. For a full list and for further detail on the above concessions, read here:

Updated 12 November 2019

Related Articles –
Skyrocketing Energy bills & what MoneyBrilliant is going to do about them
Introducing Bill Watch

More Posts



Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Terms of Access  |  Privacy Policy  |  Service Status

Copyright © All rights reserved