COVID-19: Updated information on help with child care costs

Updated: 2 February 2021

Key Points

  • The special COVID-19 arrangements for child care that provide free child care for most Australians have now finished
  • From 13 July 2020 eligible parents will receive the Child Care Subsidy and Additional Child Care Subsidy again
  • The transitional arrangements in place between 13 July and 27 September 2020 and recovery package arrangements in place between 28 September 2021 and 31 January 2021 have also finished
  • The “activity test” for families has been eased until 4 April 2021 where employment has been affected by COVID-19

Eased Activity Test for families

Parents that can no longer satisfy the activity test will be entitled to 100 hours of subsidised child care per fortnight per child for up to 12 weeks. Parents can notify Services Australia of their eligibility for these transitional arrangements via myGov and their Centrelink online account.

Further information on child care arrangements is available here.


If you are concerned about the financial impact of COVID-19 or you are facing the uncertainty of losing your job or having your income significantly reduced we can help. Sign up to MoneyBrilliant and we will give you access to a host of tools and features to help you organise your finances and make better decisions about your money. We’ll also give you tailored insights about the financial assistance available from governments and businesses to help you face the economic and financial challenges caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

You can register for MoneyBrilliant online at or download our app from the App Store or the Play Store.


This summary has been prepared by MoneyBrilliant Pty Ltd (ABN 34 153 932 766, AFSL 492711, ACL 493068). The information in this summary is of a factual nature only. We are not suggesting or recommending that you take any particular course of action in relation to any financial product or service. It does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. If you need financial advice or taxation advice you should seek advice from a licensed financial adviser or tax agent. You may also be able to access additional information from the websites of the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) and the relevant product providers.

More Posts


Your Spending Hit List

Key points Most people we speak to have some obvious ways to save money They take a bit of effort and discipline but if you

Read More »



Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Terms of Access  |  Privacy Policy  |  Service Status

Copyright © All rights reserved