Are your clothing, laundry or dry cleaning expenses tax deductible?

In some circumstances, your clothing, laundry and dry cleaning expenses may be tax deductible. The key considerations are: 

  • were the clothing expenses for protective clothing, a uniform or occupation specific clothing?
  • did the laundry and dry cleaning expenses relate to these types of clothing?

You may be able to claim the cost of protective clothing and footwear used to protect you from illness or injury or to protect your ordinary clothes from damage by your work or work environment. Note that the cost of protective equipment is claimed at item D5, not this one.

You may also be able the claim the cost of a distinctive uniform that is either compulsory or non-compulsory but registered with AusIndustry by your employer or occupation specific clothing that allows people to easily recognise your occupation and which are not for every day use.

You may also be able to claim the cost of renting, repairing and cleaning any of these types of clothing.

If you did the laundry yourself you can use a reasonable basis to calculate the amount of your claim such as $1 per load of work clothing or $0.50 per mixed load of work and non work clothing.

You must keep receipts, invoices or a diary for your laundry and dry cleaning expenses if your laundry expenses are more than $150 and your total work related expenses are more than $300.

The cost of plain uniforms or clothes and the cost of maintaining and cleaning them cannot be claimed as a deduction – even if your employer insists you wear them.

MoneyBrilliant can help you track your clothing, laundry and dry cleaning expenses as well as other tax-deductible expenses so you can claim everything you’re entitled to.

You can get more information on claiming deductions for car expenses from the ATO website or your tax adviser.

This summary has been prepared by MoneyBrilliant Pty Ltd (AFSL 492711). The information in this summary is of a factual nature only. We are not suggesting or recommending that you take any particular course of action in relation to any financial product or service. It does not take into account your personal circumstances or objectives. If you need financial advice or taxation advice you should seek advice from a licensed financial adviser or tax agent. You may also be able to access additional information from the websites of the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) or the Australian Taxation Office.

More Posts


Your Spending Hit List

Key points Most people we speak to have some obvious ways to save money They take a bit of effort and discipline but if you

Read More »



Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Terms of Access  |  Privacy Policy  |  Service Status

Copyright © All rights reserved